Skip to main content

Blogathon : Day 05 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com


Prompt for the Day : Delivery and My Baby




Wow... so the prompt was enough to give me shivers for mine was an emergency cesarean delivery and what followed wasn't pretty either - but yes, I am going to talk about it - let it flow and then maybe, just maybe, it will stop causing me this much pain, every time I think of those fifteen days...

Flashback : 2nd July 2015

The husband and I were talking and he said, so I am coming home this weekend but I can't take an extended break
Me - why?
Him - because the boss's wife just delivered a baby girl and I will not get any leaves
Me - ha we won't need any, not for at least another fifteen days and then hopefully not for another fifteen days after that either
(My due date was 10th August - little did we know, what was in store for us)


Weekend came, so did the husband. And Shlok while still inside me, would usually be active during the evenings - so I really used to look forward to those few hours of evening after my afternoon siesta.

That Sunday on 5th July was no different, waking up in the evening, I just laid there on the bed, excitedly waiting for the little bundle of joy to wake up and start kicking. But no such thing happened - minutes turned into half an hour and I started worrying, only slightly because he had given me a scare few times before that as well. And when half hour turned into an hour, I knew I had to call my doctor.

She asked me to go for a check at the hospital. Now the husband leaves on Sunday nights, so he just packed his bag and put it in car too, to head to the railway station after my check-up - that's how confident we were that as before, the little ones one fooling around with us and would start jumping any minute.

But he had decided to come out, he was done fooling inside. Nothing
worked to make him move - and the doctor decided to put me under the knife. We were rushed to a different hospital with better facilities, because I hadn't yet reached my full term and that meant there could be trouble.

That day, I wasn't worried about the procedure but I was worried for my unborn child. From the moment that I was rolled into OT I was on auto-pilot chanting the mahamrityunjay jaap for the safety of my child. And I stopped only after I heard him cry and knew that he was okay. My son was born at a 23:23

But the happiness was short-lived. For once I was settled into the room, they told me that he had gone into trauma after his first cry. He revived but they wanted to keep him under observation in the NICU for 24 hours... and even before 24 hours were over, we knew something was not right - three doctors pouring over him since nine in the night with worried expressions and before long they had started poking holes in his tiny body - he was on ventilator even before he completed 24 hours outside of and I still hadn't seen him or held him.

Finally on 7th morning I was told that I could visit him. But the ordeal was far from over. My baby spent 5 days on a life support and then another 5 days in an oxygen rich bell - but I knew he was getting better. And this fact alone gave me the strength to survive those days. It was another few days before we were discharged and today, it's more than two years to those fateful days, yet I can't think about that time without my eyes brimming with tears

And that is my birthing story. If you haven't already read the post I wrote on my son's three month birthday, check it out here. Also after this time I spent in hospital, away from him, not even being able to hold him, I have breast-fed my son for two years - to know more about my views on breastfeeding, check out this blog post.



Also don't forget to hop on to Penelope Braganza 's blog www.pennyponders.com to read her beautiful story on today's prompt.


Comments

  1. Aww khyati must have been horrid but the little one is a fighter !! Much love to him. Love the name Shlok šŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a powerful story. Kudos to u for handling such a traumatic experience. It only made u stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penelope, it was very difficult at that time.

      Delete
  3. Such a brace story..it brought me tears as well.. hats off to brace mumma n baby.. hope baby is doing fine now and great to know you breastfed hom for 2 years.. it's incredible and most fortunate for both of you .. wish u both a healthy n happy life ahead!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gagandeep. Yes, he is doing perfectly well now. As for breastfeeding, after seeing how it worked wonders for him, I didn't have the heart to stop.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh my goodness �� I have tears in my eyes Khyati. His would scared the shit out of me and I would have really lost my mind. You are so so so brave Mama ❤️ I am so so glad that your miracle baby is with you and that’s what is important.

    I know you feel a lot of pain thinking about it. But every experience is something we learn from. And she his experience must have made you strong.

    Thank God, you were both safe and everything got better ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Veena, your words do mean a lot to me. It was super scary, but we had to be strong - we couldn't have let the fear show.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your views...

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we