Skip to main content

Book Review : The Architect's Apprentice

Book Title: The Architect's Apprentice
Author: Elif Shafak
Genre: Historical Fiction / Architectural Fiction
ISBN Code: 9780241004920
Publisher : Viking (Penguin Books)
Publication : 2014
Pages : 452
Binding : Paperback

Plot :
An epic tale spanning nearly a century in the life of the Ottoman Empire. In 1540, twelve-year-old Jahan arrives in Istanbul. As an animal tamer in the sultan’s menagerie, he looks after the exceptionally smart elephant Chota and befriends (and falls for) the sultan’s beautiful daughter, Princess Mihrimah. A palace education leads Jahan to Mimar Sinan, the empire’s chief architect, who takes Jahan under his wing as they construct (with Chota’s help) some of the most magnificent buildings in history. Yet even as they build Sinan’s triumphant masterpieces—the incredible Suleymaniye and Selimiye mosques—dangerous undercurrents begin to emerge, with jealousy erupting among Sinan’s four apprentices.

A memorable story of artistic freedom, creativity, and the clash between science and fundamentalism, Shafak’s intricate novel brims with vibrant characters, intriguing adventure, and the lavish backdrop of the Ottoman court, where love and loyalty are no match for raw power.


My Rating: ☆☆☆

Review :
Okay, so I love buying books at the airport - because I feel, at the airport, you just might come across a title, which you wont normally find in most book shops. And thus, I stumbled upon this book. Truthfully, I bought this book for one reason and one reason only - the book title. Yes, the book title - being an architect, it was one of those books, that I had to, had to, had to read!
Anyways, book bought, at my boarding gate, finding a seat, I sit down and turn the book around to read what's the whole book about and I truly wasn't disappointed - for it promised to be a great read, what with discussing architectural marvels and secrets hidden - I knew I hadn't made a mistake with this book.
I start reading the book, the first chapter - a flurry of activities - to reveal a secret, a secret of deaths. I knew, this book was going to be an amazing read. And then I read further. Frame changed to the past - I knew, the background buildup was necessary for the story to properly unfold. So I kept my patience and I kept reading.
But then, it just dragged on and on. Somethings were discussed in grave detail, I mean the work in progress. Being an architect, that was fine with me - for I enjoy reading about how the structures were erected. But it was still a drag - I was waiting for that bang - the secret I was promised. But it didn't come.
All I got were few incidents here and there, which at that point felt insignificant - for they just highlighted, how difficult a task it was to construct buildings, how many problems one could face, how much resistance there could be - but it was no secret to me - being in the profession, having worked in the industry - so where was my secret?

*Spoiler Alert*

The secret came out in last 100 - 150 pages of the book - where they finally connected these incidents to the mystery - but it still wasn't that great a mystery - just a distressed girl, taking revenge on her father, not realizing how it was affecting others.
And then fast forward to the protagonist's life after Istanbul - he constructed the Taj and hid his Lady Love's name amidst it. So was it the secret hidden beneath one of the stones? So was this, what the whole story was about? Was it the daughter's revenge that was the secret he was trying to hide?
Maybe to others, who have read the book, they understood the secret better than me. Maybe I still haven't arrived at the secret - but then what's the point, if reader at the end of the book is still unsure of whether he has arrived at the right end or is there more to it? That I pondered over it for a couple of days and moved on to next book, having forgotten about the unsure end I faced... That the book failed to leave a mark on me?
Another issue with the book - time frame! Yes, you don't realize how much time has went by - that the little boy of 12 is suddenly grown up, and that he is old now. It just keeps on moving ahead and ahead and ahead without any time reference and then you are left a little more confused than you already were.
Yes the book, hooked me to itself in the beginning when I was trying to figure out what happened next. Yes I was hooked, when I was reading those last 100 odd pages. But did I enjoy the book, as much as I had anticipated - not really. Probably what I was looking forward to was a combination of the essence of 'The Fountainhead' and 'Robert Langdon' books - as in something revolutionary being taught by the architect to his apprentices down the line of secret messages hidden in various architectural elements - maybe!
Maybe, to you, to the next reader who picks up this book, maybe the mystery will unfold itself better - maybe I lack the understanding of the mystery - maybe it wasn't that grave a mystery for me. But it still turned into a disappointment for me - the book.
So, if you do pick up this book, I wish you luck and like always, I wish you...


Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we