Skip to main content

Book Review : Life and Death (Twilight)

Book Title : Life and Death
Author : Stephenie Meyer
Genre : Young Adult (Supernatural Romance Fiction)
ISBN : 9780349002484
Publisher : Atom
Publication : 2015
Pages : 387
Binding : Hardbound

Plot:
When Beaufort Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edythe Cullen, his life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With her porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice and supernatural gifts, Edythe is both irresistible and enigmatic. 
What Beau doesn't realize is that the closer he gets to her, the more he is putting himself and those around him at risk. And it might be too late to turn back...

My Rating : ☆☆☆1/2

Review :
So this book is a "bold and compelling reimagining of the iconic love story that will surprise and enthrall readers."
Being a twihard fan (yeah actually in my case it's multiple fandom - but that's not the point here), I was looking forward to reading this edition of the much loved story included in 10th anniversary issue. 
Initially it got me excited to see all the roles reversed and wanted to know how it will unfold. But from the very beginning, what jabbed me constantly was that when every role was reversed, why Charlie and Reneè remained the same - why weren't they reversed. 
I read on, overlooking this little fact here - but the story hugely disappointed me - because there was not much difference - even the dialogues at many places remained same. In fact, it took quiet some time for me to get into the book - because for the better part of the book, I kept wishing to put the book on the side and leave it be. At that point I was ready to give this book only 2 stars.
But then subtler changes began to appear. Because the series had to end in one book and not be a series at all - they started including histories or rather background of the vampires in between which was refreshing. I particularly longed to read about Royal's background and I wasn't disappointed.
But the story was still more or less repetitive until the very end. And how she (Stephenie Meyer) delivered the end in style - is commendable. The climax delivered in last two chapters and the epilogue seemed worth going through the repetitions (only as much). The end was quiet unexpected or maybe not - but it was a good read in the end.
Anyways maybe because I had read the Twilight books a couple times and watched the movies a 100 times, I kept imagining Bella and Edward Cullen - even though Edythe fitted perfectly in the shoes of Edward Cullen, I just couldn't digest Edward as Beau - it was too much for me to take.
As an honest reviewer, I would say that every Twilight fan would and should read the book because it's quiet refreshing and a fun read (towards the end especially) but at the same time, those who didn't like Twilight in the first place might end up hating this version of the story a bit more.

So is it a yeah or nay for you...?
Happy Reading!

Comments

  1. Thank u for this review ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Eshita, hope the review was helpful for you ☺

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your views...

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we