Skip to main content

Book Review : Kaash Kashmir

Book Title : Kaash Kashmir: A Play on Love and Loss in the Valley of Fear
Author : Rajesh Talwar
Genre : Fiction - Drama and Plays
ASIN : B072JCY12R
Publisher : ---
Publication : 2017
Pages : 196
Binding : Kindle Edition




Plot :

The play opens with a scene in a garden opposite a large double-storey house in which a young teenage boy of school going years confesses his love to a young girl. The boy, Rohan, is a Kashmiri Hindu and the girl, Ayesha, a Muslim. The two families, the Pandits and the Shahs are neighbors. Soon after this profession of love, together with thousands of other Kashmiri Pandits, the boy and his family are forced to leave Srinagar, leaving their house and possessions behind. It is the beginning of 1990 that marks the Kashmiri Pandit exodus. At first the family stays in a refugee camp in Jammu, awaiting the possibility of return, but hopes of return rapidly dwindling, eventually they move to Delhi. Rohan, who is still in school, decides to join the Indian Army. 
Ten years pass. Rohan is now a Major in the army, and is transferred to Srinagar, where he once again encounters Ayesha and her brother who is now part of the independence movement. What will happen now? Will Rohan and Ayesha’s childhood romance be rekindled? Will Ayesha’s brother be arrested or killed by the Indian army? The play explores sensitive issues in a fair and compassionate manner trying to bring in all points of view, eventually reaching the conclusion that the interests of Kashmiris is best served by their choosing to remain with India. 
Essential reading for anyone who wishes to understand the tragedy that is present day Kashmir and the way forward…


My Rating : 3 ☆'s


Review :
First of all I would like to express my gratitude for this opportunity to review the book.
Moving on to the book review...
For every Indian, Kashmir is a hot topic. For some, its a vote-bank, for others its a national crisis, and yet something entirely different for other. But what is Kashmir for its residents, or yet again, for the pandits who had to uproot their lives in a single night and leave their homes of generations gone by.
The play, written by Mr. Rajesh Talwar, is a retelling of the Hindu Pandits Exodus back in 1990s. It is intertwined and fictionalized with a friendship between a Hindu Pandit family and a Muslim family and a love story between a Hindu Pandit boy and a Muslim girl.
The play is an easy, fast paced read with a simple plot. Character building is as good as it can be in such a short play. But the love story wasn't of importance in this play, what was important was the information with regards to Kashmir and the situation in Kashmir and it pains me to admit, that I wasn't aware of all these facts till i read this book. And on that note, I am once again thankful for the opportunity to review and the review copy.
This was my first play, and frankly I found it very flat - as there is not much buildup with respect to the plot, it just goes head on into the thick of things - but the whole read was so interesting and intriguing, that it definitely kept me hooked to the book.
Now there were certain flaws - what I can't stand is a not well edited book - grammatical errors, spelling blunders, missed words. Also, some facts were kind of mixed up, and these are not big things but small things like Dusherra being celebrated in December or a 42" TV in India, back in the 90's. So maybe the author needs to work a little harder on getting the facts right.
My verdict, its a wonderful read if you want to know some things about the situation in Kashmir. I am sure, there would be other books out there, which may be more focused or better. But this book, because of the way, its been written makes it very simple to understand the situation for an ignorant person. And thus, its a good pick for a quick fact file reading.


Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we