Skip to main content

Book Review : The Girl In The Spider's Web

Book Title : The Girl In The Spider's Web
Author : David Lagercrantz
Genre : Crime (Murder) Mystery / Suspense Thriller
ISBN : 9780857053503
Publisher : Maclehose Press
Publication : 2015
Pages : 437
Binding : Paperback


PopSugar Reading Challenge 2016 :
1/(40+1)《a book translated to English》
Goodreads Challenge :
1/40


Plot :
Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist return
She is the girl with the dragon tattoo - a genius hacker and uncompromising misfit. He is a crusading journalist whose championing of the truth often brings him to the brink of prosecution.
Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female superhacker - a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering. Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Salander for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda. The secret they are both chasing is at the center of a tangled web of spies, cybercriminals, and governments around the world, and someone is prepared to kill to protect it...


Goodreads Rating : 3.73 ☆'s
My Rating : 5 ☆'s

Review:
I love the Millennium Trilogy so much that when I first heard about the next book in the series, I was beside myself with joy. But it was short lived because of course the book wasn't written by Stieg Larsson but by David Lagercrantz. And then I was wary and I did something which I had never done before - I checked the reviews of the book on Goodreads and they weren't very convincing reviews. So I stalled buying the book till #flipkart sale happened and then I couldn't resist. But after that I stalled reading it - pushing it to the end of the year and then dragging it on into the next one -- only to realise what a fool I had been to do so (as is apparent from my rating). That's how much I enjoyed reading the book!
The biggest concern - author transition - it was seamless. Mr David has done justice to Larsson's work and I am quiet happy to see that Lisbeth Salander is in good hands. At no point in the book, did I feel the book was written by a different author - and you cannot do better than that! Hats off to you Mr David!
Yes, like all the other reviews say, Salander makes an appearance quiet late in the book - but that is not so, her presence is felt in there since the beginning and it's quiet fun to read how she was introduced and interpreted by different people.
Of course the books are about Salander and not really Mikael Blomkvist but the buildup before her entry is sort of needed.
I especially like how the character of Lisbeth's twin sister is developed as well as August Balder's. The plot is quiet well developed too - it's more closed, tighter if I may say so, which is actually better.
There is the required action and the anger and drama, oh and of course there's Lisbeth Salander because own it, we loved the Larsson books because of her. The book is fast paced and a page turner.
And the ending, the way, Lagercrantz has concluded the book, we know it's not the end - we know our favorite Lisbeth Salander will be back and will be back with a bang! My sorrow at the end of Millennium Trilogy has evaporated - I was sad because I knew there would be no more of her, but Lagercrantz has made sure that there will be more and it will be good.
If you loved Larsson, pick up Lagercrantz - you won't be disappointed guys!

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we