Skip to main content

Book Review : Scion of Ikshvaku

Book Title : Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra Series #1)
Author : Amish Tripathi
Genre : Mythological Fiction
ISBN : 9789385152146
Publisher : Westland Limited
Publication : 2015
Pages : 354
Binding : Hardbound

Plot :
Ram Rajya. The Perfect Land. But perfection has a price. He paid that price.

3400 BCE. INDIA

Ayodhya is weakened by divisions. A terrible war has taken its toll. The damage runs deep. The demon King of Lanka, Raavan, does not impose his rule on the defeated. He, instead, imposes his trade. Money is sucked out of the empire. The Sapt Sindhu people descend into poverty, despondency and corruption. They cry for a leader to lead them out of the morass. Little do they appreciate that the leader is among them. One whom they know. A tortured and ostracized prince. A prince they tried to break. A prince called Ram.
He loves his country, even when his countrymen torment him. He stands alone for the law. His band of brothers, his Sita, and he, against the darkness of chaos.
Will Ram rise above the taint that others heap on him? Will his love for Sita sustain him through his struggle? Will he defeat the demon Lord Raavan who destroyed his childhood? Will he fulfill the destiny of the Vishnu?



My Rating : ☆☆☆☆


Review:
Having read the Shiva Trilogy by the same author, I had high hopes from his next series and he has more or less hit the mark - even if it ain't a bull's eye, it is in the vicinity.
If you have read his previous books, you would know that he is one author who human-ises the gods and retells the stories from our mythology making them more believable. This series is based on Ramayana. 
There are no complaints with regards to his writing style - for that is what sets him apart. And so far, the story has been really captivating  (when it took 2 months to complete 3 books (woes of parenthood - finding 'me time' with a 2 month old) - it took me about a week to finish this book) - so I can safely say, it's a page turner.
As far as the plot goes, of course it's an adaptation of the Ramayana - so you cannot find any fault with it.

Having said all that, I still had to take a star away from the book is because there seem to be some gaps in the story - these gaps aren't the 'in your face' variety but they linger in the background if you have read Shiva Trilogy - since the author has definitely tried to bring a connection in both the series with things like nagas or maika system.
But then, this could only be my personal interpretation and you as a reader might not find any fault with the story. And even though I mention these gaps and take a star away, I would still urge you to read the book for even if you leave mythology aside, it's a fun story to read and you won't be left disappointed.

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we