Skip to main content

Book Review : The Girl In The Tower

BOOK DETAILS:
Book Title : The Girl In The Tower
Author : Katherine Arden
ISBN : 9781785031069
Publisher : Del Rey (Penguin)
Genre : Fantasy / Russian Fairytale Retelling
Publication : 2017
Pages : 363
Format : Hardback 

BOOK BLURB:
The magical adventure begun in The Bear and the Nightingale continues as brave Vasya, now a young woman, is forced to choose between marriage or life in a convent and instead flees her home—but soon finds herself called upon to help defend the city of Moscow when it comes under siege.
Orphaned and cast out as a witch by her village, Vasya’s options are few: resign herself to life in a convent, or allow her older sister to make her a match with a Moscovite prince. Both doom her to life in a tower, cut off from the vast world she longs to explore. So instead she chooses adventure, disguising herself as a boy and riding her horse into the woods. When a battle with some bandits who have been terrorizing the countryside earns her the admiration of the Grand Prince of Moscow, she must carefully guard the secret of her gender to remain in his good graces—even as she realizes his kingdom is under threat from mysterious forces only she will be able to stop.

RATING: 4 ☆'s

REVIEW:
Second book from the #WinterNightTrilogy - and I was excited as hell to get to know more about Vasya - our fiery protagonist from the series and of course Morozko - he sure knows how to win hearts for he definitely has mine, how does it matter if he is the frost demon.
Now that you know where my heart lies with respect to the book, shall we move on to the review (don't blame me if it's a little biased, blame it on Morozko for stealing my heart)...

WHAT I LOVED:
  1. Vasya and Morozko --- I love how Vasya has grown as a character in second book, I mean I loved her free spirit in first book and I didn't think it possible for her to grow into something more, but Katherine has done an incredible job at developing and growing Vasya as she did. And Morozko, oh Morozko, the mystery about him is tantalising - it draws you in and makes you want to love him and it makes you want more of him and his story and that is what a good author and a good book should be.
  2. Breaking Stereotypes --- I simply loved how our dear Vasya breaks one stereotype after another and lives true to the punch line - why should boys have all the fun.
  3. The Perfect Balance --- Katherine has managed to brew a perfect blend of Magical surrealism through fantasy and Russian culture and their day to day living from the era gone by. The balance is so perfect that it takes you right back into that era and makes you believe that everything is possible and is happening for real.
  4. Pace of the Book --- unlike the first book in the series, this one started off with a bang and had you hooked from the first few pages itself. The struggle came much later but even then it was fast paced and didn't drag on.
WHAT I DISLIKED:
  1. Shrunken Romanticism --- what I had loved in the first book was the Russian Folklore on which the series was based but this book concentrated more on political unrest in Moscow and it was more action packed than sticking to the romanticism of the Russian Fairytales - it was more action packed than folklore packed (for lack of better word) in the middle which made me lose interest in the book and made it difficult to continue reading - it was my love for Vasya and Morozko that I didn't give up on the book.
THE VERDICT:
Usually, a second book in a trilogy is a let down - it's just a book that links first and last book with not much happening in it - at least that has been my experience -  but this one is not that. It surely ties some loose ends and creates some more mysteries as a second book should but the book does that with a power packed story and this is what makes this book worth reading.
If you loved the first book, you will love this one too - that's a given.

READ, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR:
  • A Feminist Book with strong Female Protagonist
  • Russian Folklore, Magic and Fantasy woven together
  • A Fast Paced Book 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we