Skip to main content

Book Review : The Silent Companions

BOOK DETAILS:
Book Title : The Silent Companions
Author : Laura Purcell
ISBN : 9781408888100
Publisher : Bloomsbury
Genre : Gothic Ghost Story
Publication : 2017
Pages : 384
Format : Paperback

BOOK BLURB:
Newly married, newly widowed Elsie is sent to see out her pregnancy at her late husband's crumbling country estate, The Bridge.
With her new servants resentful and the local villagers actively hostile, Elsie only has her husband's awkward cousin for company. Or so she thinks. But inside her new home lies a locked room, and beyond that door lies a two-hundred-year-old diary and a deeply unsettling painted wooden figure – a Silent Companion – that bears a striking resemblance to Elsie herself...

RATING: 4.5 ☆'s

REVIEW:
I love reading scary ghost stories, but I am never really scared easy. So I keep looking for spooky reads and that's how I came across this book.
It was definitely a good read as is obvious from my rating though sadly, it didn't give me the chills I was expecting - but on that front, I guess the fault lies with me.
It's silly really, when I am watching a scary movie or reading something scary, when a certain event is elaborated or stressed upon, I know something scary is about to happen and then because I am already prepared for it or expecting it, I don't end up getting scared - it's so meh - but that's how I am.
So let's get down to break the book apart -

WHAT I LOVED:
  1. The Unexpectedness--- okay besides the point that I sort of expect the scary part, the book was full of unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader glued from start to end
  2. Fast and Intriguing Plot --- the author is inspired by Shirley Jackson and I have only read one book by her but I found it a slow and repetitive read, but this one here was a total page turner and intriguing enough to stop the reader from putting the book aside - a totally un-putdown-able book
  3. A Justified Genre --- the book is spooky alright, me being meh is a different issue altogether - having said that, even though the book didn't send the chills down my spine nor did I feel as if someone was watching me in the dark, it did leave me with goosebumps on my arms every now and then; so if you are scared enough easily and have an amazing imagination, pick it up and you won't be disappointed
  4. Clarity of the Plot --- despite the fact that the book follows three different narratives, surprisingly the clarity of the Plot is maintained and things don't get muddled up at all


WHAT I DISLIKED:

  1. A Fitting Flat End --- though the end is conclusive and what the silent companions had been wanting to do, they managed to do, but in comparison to the rest of the book, the end was quiet flat, underplayed if you want and that costed the book a 0.5 star


THE VERDICT:

The book is spooky and clearly meant for those long cold winter nights. Its fast paced and intriguing plot, will keep you glued to itself and on the edge of your seat and if you are scared easily and have a wild imagination - read it during the daytime - BUT, DO READ IT, for its a really well written, wonderful book. I am looking out for her next goth themed spooky read coming out later this year.

READ, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR:

  • A Fast Paced Book
  • A Spooky Read
  • A Book Set in Victorian Era

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogathon : Day 03 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : My Pregnancy It's been a few months over two years since I had my son, and almost three years since I discovered that I was pregnant. It was a bittersweet journey. Almost three years into our marriage, we started thinking about starting a family, I had my health issues to take care of, my college was about to end, I was running around for placements, clearing all levels before the HR round, facing rejection because I was a married woman. Amidst all this, I had started my treatment for Thyroid and PCOD. And because of these issues, I knew conceiving might not be easy for me and some medical intervention might be required. My gynaec wanted to run some tests but they had to be done on certai

Blogathon : Day 01 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : Being A Woman in India in 2017 (a positive approach) India has always had two kinds of people - Kahin Lakshmi ka Swaroop to Kahin ma-baap ka bojh (one are those who consider a girl child to be an avatar of Godess Lakshmi and other are those who consider a girl child to be a burden on the parents). India saw sati pratha and it sees female infanticide and but it has also given birth to women like Rani Lakshmibai, Kiran Bedi and Chanda Kochar. We have often heard the saying that behind every successful man is a woman who supports him. But today the dimensions are changing and in 2017, successful is a word that is associated not only with men, but women too - because today women are not content with ju

Blogathon : Day 09 of 9 Days of Womanhood

It brings me immense pleasure to share that I, along with 24 other bloggers are celebrating #9daysofwomanhood throughout Navratri. I thank Jinal Gada for introducing me. I loved her blog on the prompt for today - check it out on  www.foreversassymommy.com Prompt for the Day : One Avataar of Matarani That Fits You or a Woman You Know Today, with this post, once published, will mark the end of this blogathon that I participated in with so many wonderful moms, each with their own stories to tell. We bonded over our shared love for our children and motherhood. Each of them, had fought and conquered their fears, challenges, obstacles and every single one of them had come out stronger than before. I dedicate this post to each one of them... I also recently, found my girl gang, we bonded over our love for reading. But each day, that I have known them - I have thanked God, for this group of friends - the booktroverts gang. Each of them has shown strength in their own way, we